Sunday, 21 May 2017

Zoe's corner










21st May is my sister's 40th birthday. I love my sister. Right from the first moment I knew she existed I've been devoted, although it took me a while to get the hang of name.










Until Zoe arrived to even up the score, I was a bit out numbered by my brothers.










We have a number of similar interests, have shared the ups and downs of life and always manage to squeeze in another cup of tea.










She was my real life baby doll, the supporting cast member of all my grand performances, a damn good bedroom tidier, my chief bridesmaid and lead cheerleader at the epic birth of my first child.










In return I have held her hand throughout her life, created the most extravagant hairstyles in the Midlands, wiped her tears, sat up all night (on several occasions) to help with essays, took on the role of Mary Poppins and provided cheese.










To start with I never missed a single birthday. I helped out and organised birthday parties but then,as with all relationships, things changed. She would be the perfect sister if it wasn't for just one minor issue. She will keep insisting on disappearing off to the other side of the world. I don't know how I supposed to pop round with a cake if she's over 10,000 miles.

So while she's soaring over the sights of Melbourne in a hot air balloon, I've decided to plant up a little corner of my garden and dedicate it to her.










We both love gardening so in the coming weeks as she hides away from the wet Australian winter, I can send her pictures of how her corner of my garden is growing and blooming.








I've included helichrysum, dahlias, scabiosa, sunflowers, leeks, kales and a solar lamp.








Zoe's corner is surrounded by hollyhocks which will provide the perfect shade for a quick cup tea.








Some of the plants are quite small








And others, like the helichrysum which have been transplanted from elsewhere in the garden, are already in bud.








There's even a box of spinach in the background.








I've found a bottle of vintage 2013 rhubarb champagne in the potting shed and will be cracking it open to celebrate 40 years of having a sister and Zoe's corner. Just think Zoe, you were only 36 when I made this champagne 🥂


Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking the time to make a comment, it really brightens my day and everyone loves getting a little bit of feedback. If you are viewing my blog through Facebook on an iPad, then you need to open my blog in Safari to comment....such a pain but I can't work out any other way to do it