Skip to main content

The art of perseverance

Two years ago my life changed forever and I was no longer able to take my health for granted. Every day I focused on the good and beautiful in the world and created Ridgeway Cottage as a way to reflect on the important aspects of everyday. It worked. I blogged when I felt as if I could no longer face the world, I crafted my way through the dark days and I clung to the essence of my soul. Little by little, I started to see rays of sunshine through the clouds and claim back the things that are most dear to me. The focus on my family has been constant but gradually I have come to spend more time doing the things that I love. Since I was a tiny girl, dance and especially ballet have been my passions and although I have been attending dance based fitness classes at the gym, I really have just been going through the motions, despising my reflection in the mirror, sadden by the weight gain and the loss of my youth, agility and grace. Some weeks I didn't even want to go out.

This month I have really committed to getting back in shape and feeling happy enough within my body to dance again and things are going well. The art of perseverance is the only true way to achieve your goals and if I want to dance, I know I will. The dip in the sea on New Years Day has certainly revived my willpower and my ability to daydream.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Firsts

It's been a day of firsts. I have been feeling a little bit under the weather and after being sick this morning I did not want to sit in the car for hours. So my husband and children have gone to visit my family without me. This did make me so sad but as there was nothing I could do about it, I thought I would just do my best to enjoy having time completely to myself. I have never been alone in the house over night. People have been away and I've been away but I have never had the whole place to myself for the whole night. I've finally got to grips with instagram and how the liking and the following and the whole thing works. I even got my first ever like which was so exciting. I'm guessing it's pretty addictive. Who should I follow? Where do I find people who love the same things as me? I think I still need a bit of help. And for the first time ever, an ironing board has been the object of my desire. I don't think that it even crossed my mind that ironing...

My first giveaway - Mod Podge Paperweight

My first giveaway I have learnt so much about blogging in such a short space of time, but what seems strikingly obvious is how important your readers are. One of the other things I noted is, the generosity of the bloggers with their giveaways. Everyone likes to get something for nothing, it is always quite exciting to be a winner and what better way to keep and increase your readership. What's even better is, that I get to make up the rules. So I am very pleased to announce my first giveaway. This is it. It is a glass paperweight that I made today using some scrap material from my quilt, a charity shop treasure and one of my favourite new discoveries - Mod Podge  How I made it Materials * A glass tile (I found this one in the 50p basket in a charity shop yesterday) *Some totally gorgeous fabric - this is Kaffe Fassett Fabric - Milliefiore - Red * Sparkle Mod Podge It was really quite simple after I had found all the materials. I measured and cut the fabric to the sam...

Dedicated to mothers

As I complete the third day of the Easter holidays, I am spending a small amount of time reflecting on how rich and varied just today has been. I have ... Been woken by simultaneous demands to think of how many uses I can think of for paper clips and explain how a secret diary can in fact be a secret diary if someone else has an identical one Made a nightdress for a doll named Gwendoline and then renamed Lucinda Hand printed some pirate wrapping paper with matching card Turned a small boy into a pirate Advised on design for party invitations Tidy - cooked - cleaned in an endless circle Whipped up a tea party and some chocolate mousse to celebrate the chocolate mousse day Witnessed the effect of sugar on children Said "yes" and "no" lots and lots and lots Described in detail the process involved in actually washing hands at least 4 times Turned off the tap Turned off the TV Laughed, cried and been for a lay down Some pirate art Today'...