Skip to main content

Thirteen

The number thirteen is considered unlucky by some, but this year I've been married 13 years and I couldn't be luckier. When it comes to presents, I do like a bit of tradition and although it probably is a bit cheeky, I like to choose my own gift. That is one of the great things about having been married so long, I know my husband well enough to be pretty confident that he doesn't mind too much.

According to the tea towel (linen for 12 years) that I gave my husband last year, detailing what I will be expecting for each year of our marriage, lace is traditionally given for 13 years of marriage. You can't imagine my delight, I totally adore lace, if its vintage lace, I don't believe it can get any better. It just so happens that I had recently been looking for some prettier lace curtains for Josie's room so I had a fair idea of what I wanted. And there it was a vintage sample of original Nottingham lace rescued from an old Victorian Lace mill before it was demolished in the 1980s. The lady lucky enough to purchase this antique stash told me that there were shelves and shelves of carefully wrapped samples spanning the entire manufacturing life a the factory.

I bought an Art Deco original 1930s design called 'Susie', which in my mind is priceless. The lace factory is gone, the British manufacturing has all but died and Nottingham's lace making fame is now a part of history, but there in our front room hangs my beautiful lace curtain, celebrating thirteen years of happiness.

And to be fair, I did get my husband a rather fab present. On a website somewhere I found some anniversary gift ideas that were more appropriate for the boys and a barometer was suggested for 13 years. Thank goodness for eBay, you truly can find just what you want: an Art Deco Oak case barometer, perfect.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Firsts

It's been a day of firsts. I have been feeling a little bit under the weather and after being sick this morning I did not want to sit in the car for hours. So my husband and children have gone to visit my family without me. This did make me so sad but as there was nothing I could do about it, I thought I would just do my best to enjoy having time completely to myself. I have never been alone in the house over night. People have been away and I've been away but I have never had the whole place to myself for the whole night. I've finally got to grips with instagram and how the liking and the following and the whole thing works. I even got my first ever like which was so exciting. I'm guessing it's pretty addictive. Who should I follow? Where do I find people who love the same things as me? I think I still need a bit of help. And for the first time ever, an ironing board has been the object of my desire. I don't think that it even crossed my mind that ironing...

My first giveaway - Mod Podge Paperweight

My first giveaway I have learnt so much about blogging in such a short space of time, but what seems strikingly obvious is how important your readers are. One of the other things I noted is, the generosity of the bloggers with their giveaways. Everyone likes to get something for nothing, it is always quite exciting to be a winner and what better way to keep and increase your readership. What's even better is, that I get to make up the rules. So I am very pleased to announce my first giveaway. This is it. It is a glass paperweight that I made today using some scrap material from my quilt, a charity shop treasure and one of my favourite new discoveries - Mod Podge  How I made it Materials * A glass tile (I found this one in the 50p basket in a charity shop yesterday) *Some totally gorgeous fabric - this is Kaffe Fassett Fabric - Milliefiore - Red * Sparkle Mod Podge It was really quite simple after I had found all the materials. I measured and cut the fabric to the sam...

Dedicated to mothers

As I complete the third day of the Easter holidays, I am spending a small amount of time reflecting on how rich and varied just today has been. I have ... Been woken by simultaneous demands to think of how many uses I can think of for paper clips and explain how a secret diary can in fact be a secret diary if someone else has an identical one Made a nightdress for a doll named Gwendoline and then renamed Lucinda Hand printed some pirate wrapping paper with matching card Turned a small boy into a pirate Advised on design for party invitations Tidy - cooked - cleaned in an endless circle Whipped up a tea party and some chocolate mousse to celebrate the chocolate mousse day Witnessed the effect of sugar on children Said "yes" and "no" lots and lots and lots Described in detail the process involved in actually washing hands at least 4 times Turned off the tap Turned off the TV Laughed, cried and been for a lay down Some pirate art Today'...