Skip to main content

Bag making at the WI

 

Our Pink Ladies WI had it third meeting last night and as bag printing was voted as the most popular potential activity earlier this year, that's what we did. Although I was a bit of a reluctant president, ideas and creative solutions are one of my strengths and in my head the idea that we could combine doing something for a local charity and bag printing / making in the same event started to unravel, with numerous possibilities.

The best thing about our WI is that it is totally community based, by the people for the people and as a teacher it is a dream to inspire learning without the constraints of funding, drowning in paperwork and the forced engagement of the disengaged. Infact our fabulous treasurer and secretary are so brilliant, that I don't even have think about the spirit crushing implications of money. And what with our local business owner and director of Espression Art Cafe Vice President hosting the event, I'm pretty much free to get on with the designing, planning, organising and creativity: all my favourite things!

The lovely Zoe from Hi Kent joined us to tell us all about her wonderful idea of making bags to sell to raise the profile of Deaf Awareness Week 19th -25th May 2014. Everyone of our amazing guests and members printed a bag for her to take away. Zoe is going to create a window display of the bags in the Northgate shop, with the bag picture below at its centre.

I'm very pleased to say that it was a collaborative affair and involved consultation with the construction, design and printing team. Zoe still has to go away and make the bag up, but I don't think this is the first bag she's made.

This a selection of the bags we printed or made

And some that wouldn't fit on the washing line


And if that wasn't exciting enough, the very talented Karen, from Leonora's Kitchen came along to tell us about the food and wine tasting event that she is hosting for the Pink Ladies WI next month. She is offering an eclectic mix of Mediterranean and Asian food with wines or soft drinks as an accompaniment , we are even getting a compare for the evening. We hope to invite all the beautiful lady traders from the Palace Street area and spill out onto the pavement. If you fancy a fab evening out, on a mid summer's Eve in the heart of the city or maybe want to come along to see what kind of brilliant people actually go to the WI, this is your chance to try us out. Tickets are only £15, just get in touch if you want to come along.

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Firsts

It's been a day of firsts. I have been feeling a little bit under the weather and after being sick this morning I did not want to sit in the car for hours. So my husband and children have gone to visit my family without me. This did make me so sad but as there was nothing I could do about it, I thought I would just do my best to enjoy having time completely to myself. I have never been alone in the house over night. People have been away and I've been away but I have never had the whole place to myself for the whole night. I've finally got to grips with instagram and how the liking and the following and the whole thing works. I even got my first ever like which was so exciting. I'm guessing it's pretty addictive. Who should I follow? Where do I find people who love the same things as me? I think I still need a bit of help. And for the first time ever, an ironing board has been the object of my desire. I don't think that it even crossed my mind that ironing...

My first giveaway - Mod Podge Paperweight

My first giveaway I have learnt so much about blogging in such a short space of time, but what seems strikingly obvious is how important your readers are. One of the other things I noted is, the generosity of the bloggers with their giveaways. Everyone likes to get something for nothing, it is always quite exciting to be a winner and what better way to keep and increase your readership. What's even better is, that I get to make up the rules. So I am very pleased to announce my first giveaway. This is it. It is a glass paperweight that I made today using some scrap material from my quilt, a charity shop treasure and one of my favourite new discoveries - Mod Podge  How I made it Materials * A glass tile (I found this one in the 50p basket in a charity shop yesterday) *Some totally gorgeous fabric - this is Kaffe Fassett Fabric - Milliefiore - Red * Sparkle Mod Podge It was really quite simple after I had found all the materials. I measured and cut the fabric to the sam...

Dedicated to mothers

As I complete the third day of the Easter holidays, I am spending a small amount of time reflecting on how rich and varied just today has been. I have ... Been woken by simultaneous demands to think of how many uses I can think of for paper clips and explain how a secret diary can in fact be a secret diary if someone else has an identical one Made a nightdress for a doll named Gwendoline and then renamed Lucinda Hand printed some pirate wrapping paper with matching card Turned a small boy into a pirate Advised on design for party invitations Tidy - cooked - cleaned in an endless circle Whipped up a tea party and some chocolate mousse to celebrate the chocolate mousse day Witnessed the effect of sugar on children Said "yes" and "no" lots and lots and lots Described in detail the process involved in actually washing hands at least 4 times Turned off the tap Turned off the TV Laughed, cried and been for a lay down Some pirate art Today'...