Skip to main content

To do list No. 1

Thursday is my day of opportunity, my working week is over and anything could happen. As I return from the school run, the day stretches out in front of me, hour upon hour to be filled with endless activities. I always think that I shall get so much done, everything that comes into my head seems possible, because if I don't get it done on Thursday, there is still Friday, Saturday and Sunday. However, as most mothers will know, the school day is actually incredibly short. There is barely time to have a coffee, hang the laundry out and have a bit of a tidy before the house is filled with hungry children who immediately reverse any sense of order. So often I fritter my time away, doing a little bit of this and that. I'm easily distracted by what I perceive to be more important / interesting tasks, have inspirational ideas that I start and then realise they will be impossible to finish by the 1445 deadline or feel overwhelmed by all the things I've got to do that I end up doing none of them. A list is the way to go. I spend all my hours at work setting students SMART targets, surely I can apply some of this to myself.

  1. Make elderflower cordial, I've bought all the ingredients, Sherlock and I can collect the elderflowers on our early morning walk and if I don't do it tomorrow I might miss that very small window of opportunity to catch elderflowers at their best
  2. Mow the lawn - it's been covered in bits of greenhouse for nearly a week and is making the place look untidy
  3. The laundry - dull, dull, dull. A never end job
  4. Plant the hollyhocks that have been waiting all week to be rehomed
  5. Photograph the garden. It changes everyday and I've already missed the aquilegia and bluebells. One glorious day last summer, I took photos of all the beautiful things in my garden and I still like to look at them today
  6. Finish the blue crochet earrings
  7. Crochet a granny square

 

And if it's at all possible, I'd like to spend some time at the allotment....

My red currants are ripening beautifully in the fruit cage

 

The foxgloves, sunflowers, crysanthemum and lupins are coming along a treat

but the weeds are running riot.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Firsts

It's been a day of firsts. I have been feeling a little bit under the weather and after being sick this morning I did not want to sit in the car for hours. So my husband and children have gone to visit my family without me. This did make me so sad but as there was nothing I could do about it, I thought I would just do my best to enjoy having time completely to myself. I have never been alone in the house over night. People have been away and I've been away but I have never had the whole place to myself for the whole night. I've finally got to grips with instagram and how the liking and the following and the whole thing works. I even got my first ever like which was so exciting. I'm guessing it's pretty addictive. Who should I follow? Where do I find people who love the same things as me? I think I still need a bit of help. And for the first time ever, an ironing board has been the object of my desire. I don't think that it even crossed my mind that ironing...

My first giveaway - Mod Podge Paperweight

My first giveaway I have learnt so much about blogging in such a short space of time, but what seems strikingly obvious is how important your readers are. One of the other things I noted is, the generosity of the bloggers with their giveaways. Everyone likes to get something for nothing, it is always quite exciting to be a winner and what better way to keep and increase your readership. What's even better is, that I get to make up the rules. So I am very pleased to announce my first giveaway. This is it. It is a glass paperweight that I made today using some scrap material from my quilt, a charity shop treasure and one of my favourite new discoveries - Mod Podge  How I made it Materials * A glass tile (I found this one in the 50p basket in a charity shop yesterday) *Some totally gorgeous fabric - this is Kaffe Fassett Fabric - Milliefiore - Red * Sparkle Mod Podge It was really quite simple after I had found all the materials. I measured and cut the fabric to the sam...

Dedicated to mothers

As I complete the third day of the Easter holidays, I am spending a small amount of time reflecting on how rich and varied just today has been. I have ... Been woken by simultaneous demands to think of how many uses I can think of for paper clips and explain how a secret diary can in fact be a secret diary if someone else has an identical one Made a nightdress for a doll named Gwendoline and then renamed Lucinda Hand printed some pirate wrapping paper with matching card Turned a small boy into a pirate Advised on design for party invitations Tidy - cooked - cleaned in an endless circle Whipped up a tea party and some chocolate mousse to celebrate the chocolate mousse day Witnessed the effect of sugar on children Said "yes" and "no" lots and lots and lots Described in detail the process involved in actually washing hands at least 4 times Turned off the tap Turned off the TV Laughed, cried and been for a lay down Some pirate art Today'...