Skip to main content

Fungas Foray

Last Autumn when I went on my first mushroom hunt with the expert Steve Kirk, I naively thought I'd gain enough knowledge to head out with my basket and return with enough foraged mushrooms to make a tasty lunch.

I could not have been more wrong. Today after my second two hour adventure through the ancient woodlands of Wildwood, I have learned one truly valuable piece of information, if you get it wrong, you'll get ill at best and die at the worst. And it really is only to easy to get it wrong. Steve Kirk is a true bush craft hero, with his leather hat, mushroom knife and waistcoat with endless pockets, however it is quite eye opening to see him unsure of what quite a large proportion of the mushrooms are, unless he has carefully examined them. There were also the "little brown jobs", which translate as small mushrooms requiring further investigation under a microscope and reference to all his books.

Mushrooms are so amazing. The visible fruits that appear above the ground in the damp, mild weather of Autumn and just a small part of the plant which remains underground, forever hidden as a web-like mesh. The appearance of mushrooms can drastic vary in one day. Some will only fruit every 10 years. They lay silently under the ground for the most part of a year and only fruit and produce mushrooms when the conditions are right to release millions of spores into the air.

Last year I bought Roger Phillips' Common and Important Mushrooms, which is now out of print but was recommended by Steve as one of the best books for identifying mushrooms. I have my app, Wild Mushrooms by Roger Phillips. I feel confident that I know three mushrooms now and I will be happy if I am just able to identify one mushroom.


 These are ink caps, I think they are common ink caps but it doesn't really matter because if you eat them and then drink alcohol up to two weeks after, they'll make you very unwell. I'm not likely to try them on toast however I quite liked the idea the monks had of boiling them up and using the ink to write. Apparently they used to be fed to alcoholics to discourage them from drinking!






The fly agaric (amanita muscaria) was the most easily recognisable mushroom we saw today. It is beautiful, distinguished, hallucinogenic and deadly poisonous in large quantities. However slugs are able to munch on to them to their hearts content as it is the mammalian liver that is attacked by the poison and slugs do not have livers. I wonder if they hallucinate?? They are rather common at Wildwood as they thrive on the numerous silver birch trees, (fly agarics that is although I have no doubt slugs are also common).




And finally some sort of puff ball (I can't remember the Latin name) which is edible, but only when it is pure white inside. Foraging for mushrooms is a complicated business but the perfect excuse to put on woolly socks, leg warmers and wellies on a drizzly November afternoon.




I have no idea what this one is but I spotted it on a pile of silver birch which I think is called a natural rotting fence. I just thought it was pretty. It could be an artist's fungus (Ganoderma applanatum)? Perhaps I should go ahead and have my first stab at identification and maybe email Steve for confirmation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Pink Ladies

As we sat in our classroom inspired horseshoe, designed to encourage conversation, there was a slightly uneasy silence. Those of us who knew each other, stole furtive glances, others returned our smiles politely although they were not privy to the planning and discussion that had occurred in preparation for the evening. The time had slowed, 8pm seemed an age away. The silence was intermittently interspersed with brief attemps at small talk and the rants of a drunk outside on the city streets. The commanding presence of our WI advisor Dorothy, had the air of an experienced headmistress or well respected senior relative which in the event of such formalities made me feel foolish in my .....excitement. Some of us stifled giggles as advice was provided on the process, as we had already made the majority of our formal decisions but it was with noticeable nerves, that I raised my hand to the question of who wished to be President.   So that's it, another new chapter has open

Ridgeway Cottage Anyhow - How to add social media buttons to your blog

I know not everyone is excited by learning code and techie stuff but in my quest for website geekiness, this post is just one step closer. For all my lovely friends and family who do not care one hoot about what goes on behind the scenes of Ridgeway Cottage, here are some lovely photos of October life. (Those who do want to know about the buttons, social media and coding, please read on.) Social Media Buttons Anyhow You will need. Your blog open in layout  The URL of your social media places you want to link to Some lovely pictures of social media icons that you would like to use as your buttons A photobucket account which you can easily open here A small understanding of how the coding works  A rather large smattering of patience unless you are super clever at all techie stuff   What social media icons are you going to use? You can find some very lovely ones by searching on the internet or there are some here, here ,  or here . I liked these one because I do r

Granny square Christmas

When I was younger I fell in love with the granny square blanket my Nan had made. It was in her tiny little Welsh cottage near the mountains and was one of the most beautiful things I had ever seen. So many colours and combinations of colours, it was just truly amazing. I'm not sure if it's the happy childhood memories or my ever increasing passion for crocheting, but granny squares (and doilies) are something I could fill me life with. Even more delightful are the variations on granny squares. Star burst blanket, which used to be my favourite, but I have recently had a go at African flowers. They are quick and easy to make and so very pretty. Thanks to the brilliant free pattern that I found here , I have managed to make a little crochet Christmas stocking made out of 16 1/2 motifs. I am happy with the how the little Christmas stocking turned out and am now rather fond of African flowers, star burst and granny squares, well actually, all