I found my ideal inspiration but they did look rather complicated.
So I had to look for something a little less challenging and I found a great idea from Teresa Does It where she used a crochet jumper to make some shorts. Brilliant!
I found a black crochet dress at the bottom of my wardrobe and used a pair of leggins to make a pattern.
Altogether I had four pieces of fabric: two for the front and two for the back. Sewing them up was just the same as making a simple pair of shorts.
Ideally some black 1" or 2" organza ribbon would have been ideal to thread through the top for the waist band but until I get some, I just used some red ribbon from my ribbon jar.
I'm quite happy with how they turned out. I'll have to try them out on Friday at my next ballet class.